Friday, September 25, 2015

Identifying Basic Grammar Patterns

A Paragraph That Has Gone On For Far Too Long

In this post, I reflect upon my writing patterns through examining the grammar I use in an excerpt paragraph taken from my Quick Reference Guide Draft. The paragraph, which was my longest paragraph, can be found here in Google Docs, wherein I made comments that showed where certain grammatical elements were present across the various sentences included.

Pacres, Jeffrey James, "Writing" 9 February 2009 via flickr.com.
CC BY-NC-ND 2.0 License.

In completing this exercise, I rediscovered just how wordy and lengthy my sentences can be. While I don't always think this is a negative quality of my writing, it is definitely something I need to be aware of whenever I'm writing. I encountered this thought during this exercise as I realized that I had to pick apart my long sentences for independent and subordinate clauses, which sometimes got very complicated. Given this, I have already set about revising that paragraph in my draft.
Additionally, I think I would like to explore variety of placement of certain sentence elements, as I think that varying where certain components of your sentences are can be refreshing for readers and prevent information and messages in your writing from being missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment