Monday, November 2, 2015

Questions About Controversy

Thinking Critically About Artificial Intelligence Controversy

In this blog post, I will pose critical questions about my controversy to help understand what areas of the debate over artificial intelligence its development (my Project 2 controversy) I will need to learn more about and investigate.

Cade Martin, Dawn Arlotta, USCDCP "African American man was one of a number of attendees to a town hall meeting public domain image" February 2015 via public-domain-image.com.
Public Domain CC0 License.

Below are my posed questions about public debate on artificial intelligence that will help me clarify what I may need to know before making my own argument:
  • Identifying things I need to learn about WHO is involved in the controversy:
    • What are the stances of recognized, leading scientific thinkers such as Stephen Hawking or Elon Musk on the issue?
    • Who are the people/persons that are specifically speaking out against AI?
    • Are there any groups who are actively speaking against AI development, or not?
  • Identifying things I need to learn about WHAT is up for debate in this controversy.
    • Do people involved in this debate fear the technology itself or the people who will use it?
    • Are people in this public argument considering the domestic potential of this technology (ex. everyday uses, common presence)?
    • Are people in this public argument considering the artistic potential of this technology?
  • Identifying things I need to learn about WHEN this controversy has unfolded (and the larger contextual details of that time period that may be relevant).
    • When was the first mention of artificial intelligence in various media?
    • When was the first official development of AI technology started?
    • When do researchers believe AI technology will be "ready," or in other words, in a form that fits the standards imagined in our current day?
  • Identifying things I need to learn about WHERE this controversy has unfolded - and I mean both physical spaces and cultural spaces.
    • What countries or places in the world is AI technology development taking place?
    • Is the debate over AI development primarily American? Is it taking place elsewhere?
    • Where have AI advancements already been made?
  • Identifying things I need to learn about HOW this controversy has unfolded in the media (including general popular media, scholarly media and social media).
    • How did the first problems with AI technology arise (with what medium, what was it in response to)?
    • How has anti-AI development sentiment grown recently, if it has?
    • How has AI development advanced recently and how has the media reacted?

No comments:

Post a Comment