Saturday, August 29, 2015

My Writing Process

Inside the Mind of A Pseudo-Procrastinating Partial-Planner


The following body details, in a Q&A-style format, my responses to several questions about my habits and preferences of writing method. I will answer questions regarding how I define my habits as a writer in relation to four archetypes (see Student's Guide pages 38-9) and how I believe I can overcome the shortcomings of my personal writing method in addition to further improving upon the strengths of my process.

DirkvdM. "Canopy Walk" 7 August 2006 via DirkvdM/Photo-sales wikipedia page.
Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0) License.


  • "What type(s) of writer do you consider yourself to be?"

    • I would classify myself as a mix between a "Heavy Planner" and a "Procrastinator."   The description of the Heavy Planner that mentioned the writer's preference for extensive thinking in everyday contexts before taking ideas to paper matched me very well. I typically like to know ahead of time what I will be writing, and then continue through day(s) with a part of my mind playing with the idea of my writing. In fact, I often find myself inspired by random moments of conversation or sights which I plan to later use as creative fuel for my writing. I even keep the best thoughts from such moments preserved in notes in my phone, so I can have them ready when I finally sit down to write. However, as a result of my relaxed planning method, I often end up waiting too long before actually writing my ideas into organized text, which definitely labels me as a Procrastinator.

  • "Does your writing process include several of the above approaches? If so, which ones?"

    • Yes. Similarly to the description of Heavy Planners, I often will think about my writing across extended periods of time while I'm doing other, non-writing activities. I do this to allow myself to find inspiration in the everyday routines of my life, such as conversation or walks around campus or drives home. Additionally, I procrastinate (as is common for Procrastinators) because I am often reluctant to finally sit down and write, since I always hope for more and more ideas for my writing before I have to sit down and consolidate my thoughts.

  • "Does your writing process seem to be successful? What are the strengths and weaknesses of your approach?"

    • I do think my writing process is successful for my typical writing purposes. It allows me time to really think-out what I want to say and include in my writing. Without my process, I would fear that I would lack a substantial amount of ideas or central thoughts to write from. I firmly believe that the primary strength of my writing method is that I allow myself time to become inspired and excited (if not a little nervous as well) to write. However, the clear weakness of my approach is that I often lack solid progress and work until the final moments of my writing when I piece all of my thoughts together.

  • "Do you think it might be beneficial for you to try a different approach? Why or why not?"

    • In all honesty, I do. While it might pain me to admit it, I am often worried by the lack of sustained, solid progress yielded by my method. While I believe being able to think and develop my ideas thoroughly before I write is invaluable, I do think that I could try a more structured, evenly productive method of writing such as that of "Sequential Composers." The only risk I would run with such a method is that I may become worried that any writing I produce would be too set in stone, and would not lend itself to changes in central theme or idea.



Reflection on Other Posts

After reading both Jayni's and Brian's posts on their writing processes, I was genuinely intrigued by how they both approached writing with an emphasis on heavy revision. The primary reason why this was so fascinating to me was because I myself try to avoid the need to make multiple drafts and am not great with self-revision, and thus I respect both of their skills for self-revision. Although there were some differences in the writing processes I read about, such as an emphasis on pre-write planning as opposed to no planning, I definitely believe that I could take a page from other writers and try to draft more to refine my writing.

I also found it very interesting to read about how different writers mentally prepare themselves before beginning to write, but as I believe we each have our own ways of doing so, I think I will remain with my method of seeking inspiration in everyday contexts long before I begin writing - it's my style.


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading about how you commonly take inspiration from everyday conversations and occurrences. Though I love creative writing, I've never been attentive or interesting enough to see a story in the everyday conversations I have. I do agree that your process seems to match your writing preferences very well. As a creative writer, it would make sense to me that the most beneficial type of writing is simply just to write whenever you feel like it.

    On the other hand, I relate to your belief that I have lacked a "sustained, solid progress." I oftentimes feel the same about my own writing, but have had a hard time changing my method because I enjoy writing the way I do and have been for so long. Try something more structured is definitely something I've considered, as, more often than not, I disregard outlines and things of that sort. Though I feel that way, I'm sure we could both improve out methods by giving them a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I also have a relaxed planning method, and I find myself contemplating what I am going to write for a large part of the writing process. I have steered away from concrete planning techniques, and kept that part of my process free flowing. However, once I have a decent idea of the direction I am going to take, I write most of the body of my text all at once, which allows me to revise, cut, add to, and move different portions of the text as I continue the writing process.

    I am sure that thinking about your writing over an extended period of time ensures that your writing flows well and contains thorough analysis, but it may help you to get some of your ideas on paper early on so you have something to work with. Like you said at the end, attempting a sequential composition method may be beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - looking over your blog post, it seems as though we've had some similar writing experiences, especially in regards to style and the actual planning process. But now, looking back through the semester, I'm curious about a few things:

    Do you think you ever got a handle on your procrastination? Ever manage to effectively bring your thoughts to paper in a decent amount of time?

    Did you end up exploring new writing methods? Do you think they helped you grow as a writer at all?

    Did you find that your writing process afforded you the flexibility needed to effectively write in the variety of genres we encountered through the course of the semester? Does that improve or undermine your confidence in your writing process?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!

      Honestly, I feel like procrastination was still a big factor in how I wrote for this course, since everything was a weekend deadline and I often relied on taking time on Saturdays to complete work - which didn't always turn out well, trust me.
      I actually feel that I was usually able to get my writing and thoughts completed quickly though. No real issues there, starting was more than half the battle it felt like.

      I actually stuck to my current writing style for blogposts and such but for a couple projects I tried more of a "get it out there" style of writing where I would just (late at night, having waited too long to) sit down and write as much as I could for a draft to create lots of content that I could later comb through. This was mostly the case for Project 3 more than the others.

      I actually feel that writing in the variety of genres didn't present significantly different challenges to my writing process, so my confidence was largely left intact. I suppose, if anything, formatting for the different genres (I'm looking at you, Projects 1 and 3) was more time consuming and threatening to my confidence - since it wasn't necessarily a writing challenge but definitely a craft challenge.

      Thanks so much for the questions!
      -Mika Lorenzen

      Delete